useful links

Monday, November 16, 2009

Thekkady (Periyar National Park) - Kerala

At the southern end of the Western Ghats on the Kerala - Tamilnadu border lies a 280 square feet stretch of water whose thickly forested banks are reputed to be among the best in India for wildlife. Elephants, Langurs, Wild Boar, Bison, Sloth Bear, Sambar Dear, Porcupines, Flying Squirrels, Leopards and the increasingly elusive tiger all inhabit the depths of this 297 square mile sanctuary, and herons, egrets, darters, kingfishers, and the great malabar grey hornbill are among the 260 or so bird species sighted. Apart from this, the sanctuary is stunningly beautiful and its best accommodations (former royal hunting lodges) occupy prime lakeside spots with lovely misty early morning views.
Season:
Periyar's high season is December through March, but accommodations fill up at any weekend or public holiday, making reservations essential. it is not worth visiting during and just after the monsoon, when lakeside sightings become rare as the wildlife has no need of water from the lake, and the humidity also encourages leeches.
Route and Accommodations:
The nearest access town is Kumily, which has good connections with Kottayam, in the Keralan backwaters, and Madurai. Between Kumily and Thekkady, where budget and mid-range accommodations are concentrated , seemingly endless plantations of cardamom, pepper, coffee, bananas, and tapioca eventually give way to evergreen and semi-deciduous forest, typical of this altitude. Thekkady is located about 257 kms from Trivendrum, 114 kms from Madurai Airport, 185 kms from Cochin International Airport. A better bet is to hire a guide and trek through the sorrounding forest or, better still, stay overnight in one of the viewing towers run by the Forest Department in Thekkady.

19 comments:

  1. I love your blog its look nice and attractive. I visited many places in India like north zone, south zone, east zone, west zone. I like south zone trip most and have a good experience of that trip. I like there beaches, culture, traditions etc. I have many photos of there as memories of it in my album and heart touching photos is always with me. Kerala is famous for mostly beaches and some wildlife sanctuaries also. I always keep in touch with your blog and going to bookmark also.
    Kerala Tour Package
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey,thanks for sharing your blog with us. kearla is amazing place is like havin place .i can also share my my trip with as soon as


    Rajasthan tour

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful blog & good post.Its really helpful for me, awaiting for more new post. Keep Blogging!
    My india tourism

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for writing, I very much liked your newest post. I think you should post more frequently, you evidently have natural ability for blogging!
    MY india tourism

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent and valuable we blog much obliged concerning publishing his it’s useful and informative keep up the great.
    My India Tourism

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was looking for sites identified with india tourism,You are providing better service at on side calls.i realy like this and this is affordable for me.
    My india tourism

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice Blog. Recently I am visiting the Travel blogs. Ur Blog is beautiful of way of writing and pics and way of writing. Kee it up. See more about - Rajasthan Tour

    ReplyDelete
  11. India is best tourism spot for all historical,Union Territories,hill stations,waterfalls,temples,sightseeing...etc. your maintaing a nice blog like it.
    Am also maintaing a blog called
    Tourism of Madurai Meenakshi Temple

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am pretty much happy to run into your site on the web and from now on I promise to visit your site every day and enjoy reading it. Seems like a faith.
    Color Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing
    www.freecoupondeals.in/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kerala is one of the famous places to visit with great packages in south india. There are many tour packages for Kerala a like backwater packages, houseboat bundles and many more. You can visit beaches, backwaters, natural beauty etc.
    Honeymoon destinations |Kerala tourism

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing post guys,your post compel me to visit there ,,I have never seen any blogger who maintained blogs as you did,Thank you for your post this is like Golden triangle tour

    ReplyDelete
  16. One Day Tirupati Package From Chennai in shadhanasricabs.We offer different One Day Tirupati Packages.Book Tirupati holiday packages in shadhanasricabs .

    ReplyDelete
  17. In this blog, given a very good information related to the tour...By traveling we get new energy..For this purpose, we also started a tour & travel company through which people are very happy.

    ReplyDelete